dijous, 27 de desembre del 2018

The Christmas I'd rather forget by Fay Schopen


The Christmas I'd rather forget
You can’t escape Christmas – not even with a Caribbean holiday
Fay Schopen


Instead of a festive getaway, I had a miserable time, losing repeatedly at Scrabble – and ending up with pubic lice
Getaway: Exit

Tue 25 Dec 2018 08.30 GMT


Can you ever truly escape Christmas? In 2007, I discovered that you cannot, no matter how hard you try. I was living in New York, studying for a master’s degree. My boyfriend at the time, who lived in London, was flying over, and a Christmas spent in my tiny studio apartment did not appeal. Christmas in New York is renowned for being a sparkling, magical time – but that winter I remember freezing slush rather than picturesque snowfall; and negotiating my way through slippery streets clutching a bottle of super-strength cockroach killer was the closest I got to ice skating in Central Park.
Appeal: If something appeals to you, you find it attractive or interesting.
Renowned: Notorious
Sparkling: Performing very well
Slush: Slush is snow that has begun to melt and is therefore very wet and dirty. If you describe a love story as slush, you mean that you dislike it because it is too sentimental and cannot be taken seriously.
Slippery: Something that is slippery is smooth, wet, or oily and is therefore difficult to walk on or to hold.
Clutching: If you clutch at something or clutch something, you hold it tightly, usually because you are afraid or anxious. In a vehicle, the clutch is the pedal that you press before you change gear. A clutch of eggs is a number of eggs laid by a bird at one time.

We opted to go to the Dominican Republic for Christmas and new year, for reasons somewhat lost on me now, but which mainly centred around it being nigh-impossible to get directly to Cuba from New York at the time. We were looking for high temperatures, a beach, and an absence of traditional seasonal offerings. If Cuba was out, then the Dominican Republic would have to do.
Nigh: Near
2nd conditional where the infinitive, in the second part is changed by “have to do”

Christmas and I have a chequered history. It turns out that there are several Christmases I’d rather forget: a Caribbean Christmas, I rationalised, would transcend the ghosts of Christmas past. There would be no tinsel, turkey or tree. Instead, we would be holed up in a charming villa in a tropical paradise. The sea would be crystal-clear, the cocktails wouldn’t give us hangovers, and we would parade around in our swimwear looking like a Sandals advertisement. It was a good idea – until we got to the Dominican Republic.
Chequered (UK) checkered (USA): If a person or organization has had a chequered career or history, they have had a varied past with both good and bad periods.
Tinsel: Christmas garland
Hole up: If you hole up somewhere, you hide or shut yourself there, usually so that people cannot find you or disturb you.
Parade around: If someone parades, they walk about somewhere in order to be seen and admired.
Sandals: Sandals Resort are “The World’s only 5 star luxury included resorts”. In other sense, sandals are light shoes that you wear in warm weather,

We landed at 5am on Christmas Eve and waited around in a truly miserable room – “hotel” is too strong a word – until it was time to be transported to our villa by the beach. Sun, sea, and sand. Barbecues and pina coladas. All good things. But, not it turns out, at Christmas time.
Truly: Really, actually

There’s a photograph of me that Christmas Day. I’m on the beach, wearing a colourful dress, a beer beside me. And I look utterly miserable. The problem, it seems, is that when you’re not used to it, Christmas in the sunshine just doesn’t feel right. Luckily I didn’t have to worry about that for long, as it soon began to rain. And – I appreciate that my memory may be playing tricks on me here – it rained for a fair portion of the trip.

The highlight of our holiday was playing crazy golf on Christmas Day. That was the sum total of local attractions, if you discount the bar and club, which was depressingly full of sex tourists. We played game after game of Scrabble, and my boyfriend won every single one. This frustrated me so much I threw a full-on temper tantrum. I couldn’t even lose myself in a good book – my preferred activity on holiday – as I had to read a particularly dull assigned text about evolution for one of my classes.
The highlight: The highlights of an event, activity, or period of time are the most interesting or exciting parts of it.
Full-on: Full-on is used to describe things or activities that have all the characteristics of their type, or are done in the strongest or most extreme way possible.
Temper tantrum: If a child has a tantrum, they lose their temper in a noisy and uncontrolled way. If you say that an adult is throwing a tantrum, you are criticizing them for losing their temper and acting in a childish way.
Dull: If you describe someone or something as dull, you mean they are not interesting or exciting. Bored.

What there was, however, was rum – and plenty of it. We got so bored and drunk one night in the sex-tourism bar we thought it was a good idea to go with some locals to their place to get further intoxicated. We had rented a scooter, so we followed them for miles to what looked like a murder house. Half built; replete with bare bulbs to complement the bare mattress on the floor. The locals left us there and said they were going to get supplies. We sobered up, realised we were going to be mugged, kidnapped or worse, and fled.
Bare: Naked
Mattress: A mattress is the large, flat object which is put on a bed to make it comfortable to sleep on.
Sober up: If someone sobers up, or if something sobers them up, they become sober after being drunk.
Mug: If someone mugs you, they attack you in order to steal your money.
Flee / fled / fled: If you flee from something or someone, or flee a person or thing, you escape from them.

After the trip was (finally) over, we flew back to London together, as I had some time off college. But my boyfriend sat in premium economy and I sat in economy. He said he booked himself premium economy “by accident”.

There was one final surprise: I caught crabs from sitting on that bare mattress in the murder house.

Eleven years on, I’ll never be completely sure that one can book premium economy by accident – but at the time, it was the only theory that fit. There are many reasons why relationships end, and although it would be a neat moral lesson to say that our Caribbean Christmas revealed the cracks in ours and the error of our ways, I can’t: we stayed together for a further five years, off and on. But our tropical torment did teach me one valuable lesson at least: don’t go on holiday at Christmas.

We had flown 1,500 miles, but you can’t outrun the season. It will overtake you and flatten you like a truck. You can’t beat it no matter what you do. Trying to ignore it is sheer folly: you will get drunk and fall in the mud; you will lose at Scrabble; and you will end up with pubic lice. I have since made my peace with Christmas, and these days, I do my best to embrace it in all its flawed, festive glory.
Overtake: If someone or something overtakes a competitor, they become more successful than them.
Flatten: To flatten something such as a building, town, or plant means to destroy it by knocking it down or crushing it.
Truck: Rubbish. The most normal use refers to a kind of lorry.
Sheer: Pure, utter, absolute
Flawed: Imperfect. Something that is flawed has a mark, fault, or mistake in it.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada