dissabte, 5 de gener del 2019

A bit of grammar wiht Wimpy Kid (Jeff Kinney)


Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Cabin Fever.  November – Saturday

Most people look forward to the holidays, but the stretch between Thanksgiving and Christmas just makes me a nervous wreck.

He was looking forward to working with the new Prime Minister.
Motor traders are looking forward to a further increase in vehicle sales.
They give me something to look forward to in my otherwise dull life.
Perhaps that is something to look forward to.
He's really something to look forward to.
Ensure I have something to look forward to.
People here have helped us a lot so I look forward to doing something useful and helpful in return.

If you make a mistake in the first eleven months of the year, it’s no big deal.
But if you do something wrong during the holiday season, you’re gonna pay for it.

Zero conditional: (If + present simple) + (,) + (present simple)
If alfa.text is null, then write “empty”, else write alfa.text.caption.
If water reaches 212oF, it boils.

Maybe you would’ve gotten more presents if you hadn’t pinched your brother last week!

Third conditional: (If + past perfect [had & past part] ) + (,) + (would have + past participle)
If she had studied, she would have passed the exam.
If I hadn't eaten so much, I wouldn't have felt sick.
If we had taken a taxi, we wouldn't have missed the plane.
She wouldn't have been tired if she had gone to bed earlier.
She would have become a teacher if she had gone to university.
He would have been on time for the interview if he had left the house at nine.

(…) So if they moved Thanksgiving to the week before Christmas, it would be fine by me.

Second Conditional: (If + past simple*) + (,) + ( would + infinitive)
If I won the lottery, I would buy a big house.
She would travel all over the world if she were rich.
She would pass the exam if she ever studied.
If I had his number, I would call him.
If I were you, I wouldn't go out with that man.

(…) If Santa really does see everything you do, then I could be in trouble.

Mixed first conditional sentences with modal verbs: If + present simple, can / may / might / will / should + verb (infinitive)
If you give me some money, I can buy some milk.
If I finish my homework, may I go out with my friends?
If you switch the photocopier off and on again, it should work.

(…) Dear Santa,
I did not throw a crab apple at Mrs. Taylor’s cat, even though it might’ve looked that way from a distance.
Sincerely,
Greg Heffley

Note the structure of the letter and the use of “even though”. You use even if or even though to indicate that a particular fact does not make the rest of your statement untrue.
Cynthia is not ashamed of what she does, even if she ends up doing something wrong.
Even though I work by myself, there are other people I can interact with.


(…) If you help me with these groceries, I’ll bet it will be just enough to make Santa’s “nice” list!



First conditional: (If + present simple) + (,) + (simple future [Will & infinitive] )
If it rains, I won't go to the park.
If you want, I’ll show you.
If I study today, I'll go to the party tonight.
If I have enough money, I'll buy some new shoes.
She'll be late if the train is delayed.
She'll miss the bus if she doesn't leave soon.
If I see her, I'll tell her.

I kind of wonder how accurate the list really is anyway. There’s a kid named Jared Pyle who lives up the street from me, and if there’s anyone who deserves to be on the “Naughty” list, it’s him. But last year he got a dirt bike for Christmas, do don’t even ask me what Santa was thinking on that one.

"Kind of wonder" in general means "I wonder a little bit" or "I have a small suspicion." It works like a gradation.
I kind of wonder what would have happened if he had lived.
I kind of wonder what sort of man would wear a mask.
Sometimes in the middle of everything, I kind of wonder if what I'm doing here-

It’s not just Santa I’ve got to worry about, either.

It’s not only this aspect about what I must be worried.
It's not just what you see in the picture.
It's not just another secret of the war.

Last year when Mom was going through some old boxes, she found a homemade doll from her childhood.

Go through, in USA, means to look carefully at people or things around you in order to try to find a particular person or thing.

(…) First of all, I think you have a right to privacy in your own home. And second, Santa’s Scout gives me the willies.

Ugh, just picturing it gives me the willies.
Being alone in this big house gives me the willies.
Even the mention of his name gives me the willies.

I don’t really buy the idea that this doll is feeding Santa information, but just in case, I try to be extra good whenever I’m in the same room as Santa’s Scout.
May I clear everyone’s plates?
Why, how thoughtful of you!

If you buy an idea or a theory, you believe and accept it.
He has to buy into the idea that the dreams are real.
Irrespective of what the chaplain says, I simply don't buy the idea of a genuine epiphany.

I brought it just in case.
Stand there, just in case.
It's there, just in case it happens again.

(…) Every morning when I wake up, Santa’s Scout is in a new place, which I guess is supposed to prove that he travelled to the North Pole overnight. But I’m starting to wonder if it’s really Rodrick who moves him.


Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada